In this beautifully unspoilt part of Occitanie called the Pays Cathare, there are thousands of kilometres of scarcely-trod trails waiting to be discovered by those seeking a walking retreat with a unique twist. From the Mediterranean to the Pyrenees, these lands are marked by the plight of the Cathar people: walking in the footsteps of these legendary people, you'll be discovering some of France's most best and most ancient paths.
This retreat will give you a walking week of exploration and exhilaration, discovery and delight, sunflowers and sunshine.
Some of France's most renowned walking routes are right here on our doorstep and this retreat week presents you with the most popular. If you like walking and want to come and re-connect with the great outdoors, this retreat offers you the chance to follow the footsteps of the Cathars along parts of the famous Sentier Cathare and the Sentier des Bonshommes.
A walking retreat for the lover of history, local folklore and admirer of breath-taking landscapes. Following in the ancient footsteps of the Cathar people brought to popularity by the writings of Kate Mosse and Dan Brown, this week will take you up some spectacular castle ruins, to medieval towns and cathedrals wrought by the Cathar plight and a Cathar initiation cave where Mary Magdalene reputedly took her refuge in order to meditate and retreat.
Rambling through uniquely diverse countryside, ranging from the sweet herb odours of the Mediterranean scrublands to the dense green pines of the Pyrenees, across the open rocky lands of the Minervois to the gently rolling hills and valleys of the Razès, your eyes will feast upon the numerous birds of prey and wild orchids thriving around some of the best preserved castle ruins in Europe.
Rambling the Cathar Trails offers you:
- airport transfers to and from Carcassonne or Toulouse airports;
- a welcome Blanquette aperitif and briefing upon your arrival;
- a wine-tasting event at the celebrated local winery;
- two evenings out at local restaurants in the medieval towns of Mirepoix and Fanjeaux;
- walks to, around and entrance into four Cathar castles including the largest in Europe;
- a copy of your guide's book entitled one woman walking;
- visits to the medieval towns of: Minerve, Montségur, Carcassonne, Rennes-le-Château, Mirepoix, & Duilhac-sous-Peyrepertuse;
- a visit to the Mary Magdalene cave.
Retreat Prices (per person):
Due to the nature of this retreat with its many days out, only self-catering, bed & breakfast and half-board options are proposed. This gives you the flexibility of taking advantage of the cheap lunch-time menus or formules (3-course meal typically costing €14) available from local restaurants if you want. Alternatively, we can provide a picnic lunch for €8 per person.
Get in Touch to have a chat about the retreat and get your itinerary.
Come alone, as a couple or with friends throughout the year.
- Cost of your flights to and fro Carcassonne or Toulouse airport;
- Lunches (picnics may be purchased);
- Holiday insurance;
- Personal consumptions/purchases made on days out other than those listed above.
If you've had a chat with us and are ready to book...
Simply choose your catering and transport options and click on the PayPal button below. A 30% deposit is required at the time of booking; the balance 70% is due 8 weeks prior to your arrival. Deposits are refundable up to 8 weeks prior to the retreat start date.